Pearson Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics in Context
This specification has been accredited by Ofqual for first teaching in Autumn 2014 and first award in September 2016.
Sample assessment materials
These SAMs have been accredited by Ofqual for first teaching in Autumn 2014 and first award in September 2016.
In 2013, the Department for Education announced plans for new mathematics qualifications for 16–18 year olds. Our Edexcel Core Maths qualification is:
- designed for students who achieve an A* to C in GCSE Mathematics, who choose not to continue with AS-level or A-level Mathematics;
- measured as a Level 3 qualification, accredited by Ofqual, equivalent in size to an AS qualification.
Our engaging and relevant post-16 Mathematics qualification enables students to improve their knowledge of Mathematics and understand how to apply it to situations in the real world. The new Edexcel Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics in Context will:
- support student progression by preparing learners for the mathematics requirements of a number of higher education courses;
- develop students’ understanding and ability to apply mathematics, and become equipped to apply for employment or higher apprenticeships in a wide range of industry sectors, professional training or university;
- be distinct from GCE AS Level Mathematics as learners consolidate mathematical techniques that can be directly applied to real life contexts;
- reflect the content of the new GCSE Mathematics.
We’ll be communicating with teachers via the Early-adopter Teaching Project, and working with the Department for Education, higher education institutions, employers and Ofqual to develop the Edexcel Core Mathematics qualifications to meet students' needs for making progress in their lives.
Please register your interest on our short form if you’d like to be kept up-to-date with the latest news as we develop this qualification.