Always Learning

 QCF BTECs from 2010 

QCF BTECs are accredited to the Qualification and Credit Framework. This page provides more information on QCF BTEC results.

Jump to a section

Marking and grading Getting a your coursework back
UCAS Coursework re-marks/re-moderation
Incorrect personal information

How are QCF BTECs marked and graded?

QCF BTECs are made up of units, which contain assignments that link theory with practical exercises.

To complete each unit, your work is assessed by your teacher, tutor or training provider along the way. This ongoing assessment allows you to analyse and improve your performance throughout your course in much the same way as you would in a real workplace.

BTEC unit results are graded as:

  • Pass (P)
  • Merit (M)
  • Distinction (D)

If the work you produce doesn’t meet the grading criteria for a Pass grade, you will be awarded a U, which means ’unclassified’.

Once you have completed your BTEC, all of your unit grades are converted into a points score, which are added together to calculate your overall grade.

Find out more about how to calculate point scores and your overall grade.

The overall grades available are:

  • Pass (P)
  • Merit (M)
  • Distinction (D)
  • Distinction* (D*)

The Distinction* (D*) grade was new to QCF specifications and is avaialble on most Level 2 First and Level 3 National specifications.

At level 3, your overall BTEC is given one, two, or three final grades, depending on its size. The tables below illustrate this:

Possible combinations of overall grades
Extended Diploma 90-credit Diploma and Diploma Certificate and Subsidiary Diploma
D*D*D* D*D* D*

What is the GCSE or A level equivalent of my BTEC?

It is not always a simple task to equate grades for BTEC qualifications to grades for GCSEs and A levels. This is because BTECs are graded on a three-point (Pass, Merit, Distinction) or four-point (Pass, Merit, Distinction, Distinction*) scale, whereas GCSEs are graded on an eight-point scale (A*-G) and A levels on a five-point scale (A-E).

However, it is possible to compare BTECs with GCSEs and A levels on the basis of the number of school performance points or UCAS tariff points that each one is awarded.

Find out more about comparing BTECs to GCSEs and A levels using school performance points.

You can find out more about comparing BTECs to A levels using UCAS tariff points in the 'How many UCAS points is my BTEC worth?' question below.

↑ Back to top

When will UCAS be sent my results?

If you're completing a BTEC Level 3 National this summer and are a UCAS applicant, we'll send your results to UCAS on the same day we print your certificate. They collate your BTEC results with any other results you have for other qualifications and send these to the universities and colleges from which you've had offers.

BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate and Level 5 Higher National Diploma results are not sent directly to UCAS and you'll need to contact your university directly if you have offers depending on these results.

What if UCAS haven't received my results?

If you've received your certificate but UCAS haven't received your results, it's likely that the personal details we hold for you are different from the information on your UCAS application.

If you haven't received your certificate, check with your school or college to ensure they've told us you've completed the course.

Check that your personal information is correct on your certificate and matches the information on your UCAS application. If it doesn't, ask your exams officer to update our records.

How many UCAS points is my BTEC worth?

BTEC Level 3 qualifications have good equivalence with A levels in terms of the number of UCAS tariff points that they receive.
However, some university course requirements do not use the tariff in when making a conditional offer, so you should check university websites to determine individual course entry requirements.
QCF BTEC Level 3 Grade UCAS tariff points
Extended Diploma Diploma 90-credit Diploma Subsidiary Diploma Certificate AS level  A level
(3 A levels) (2 A levels) (1.5 A levels) (1 A level) (0.5 A levels) (0.5 A levels)
D*D*D* 420
D*D*D 400
D*DD 380
DDD 360
DDM 320
DMM D*D* 280
D*D 260
MMM DD 240
D*D* 210
MMP DM D*D 200
DD 180
D* A* 140
MP B 100
PP M C 80
D* 70
PP D A D 60
B 50
P M C E 40
D 30
E 20


The subsidiary diploma is the same size as an A level and the equivalent grades receive the same number of points:
Pass (P) grade in the BTEC = 40 points = E grade at A level 
Distinction* (D*) grade in the BTEC = 140 points = A* grade at A levelb

What courses can I apply for through clearing?

Lists of courses with places available are published on the UCAS website and in national newspapers after results day. Not all universities, colleges or courses have vacancies in clearing, but you don’t have to stick with the subjects you originally applied for – you may find something you are better suited to or that you are more interested in.

For more information on the clearing process, check out the UCAS website.

If you’re looking for more information about the Business degree at Pearson College, please call 0203 441 1303 or visit the Pearson College website.

↑ Back to top

Some of my personal details are incorrect on my certificate. What can I do?

We can correct errors such as misspelled names very quickly but you need to speak to the exams officer at your school or college to request any changes.

These requests must come from someone at your centre as we have no way of identifying students who call or email us. If we can’t identify you, we can’t make changes to confidential information.

↑ Back to top

Can I get my assignments back?

Yes. You can ask your centre to return any project, coursework or controlled assessments.

↑ Back to top

Can I get my assignments re-marked?

Your work is marked by your teachers and course tutors. This means you'll need to speak to your school or college to ask where they will look at your assignments again.

How is my coursework assessed?

Your teacher marks all project work, coursework and controlled assessment. It is then moderated by us. This means that we request a sample of your teacher’s marked work and check that we agree with their assessment.

Moderation is necessary to make sure that all students have their coursework assessed according to the same standards. Most of the time, we will approve and accept your teacher’s marks unchanged. However, sometimes marks are reduced or raised if we judge that your teacher’s marking has been too lenient or too harsh.

If you think that the mark on your results slip is not the mark your teacher gave you, please check with your teacher to see what happened to marks after moderation. If we did not adjust your mark, talk to your teacher or exams officer and they’ll get in touch with us. If we did adjust your mark, your teacher will need to decide if they want to send back all of the work from your school or college for re-moderation.

What if I’m unhappy with my coursework mark?

We can't re-moderate an individual piece of coursework or any work where we didn't change your teacher's original mark. We can only re-moderate if we changed the marks given by your teacher, but it's up to your school to decide whether it requests this.

Your school or college should base its decision on what is best for the majority of students. When we receive a request for re-moderation, we will moderate the coursework of all students originally entered at your school or college for a second time.

This means that any changes we make to grades may affect all students who submitted work. If your school has decided not to submit coursework for re-moderation, you will need to discuss this directly with them, as we can’t overturn their decision.

The rules around marking and re-marking coursework and controlled assessments are agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations. They are in place to ensure that all students are treated equally, regardless of the awarding organisation used for their subject.