Functional skills and GCSE 2010: Core skills for today’s learners
||Our functional skills pilot has seen over 70,000 entries for this summer’s series alone, making us the leading awarding body for functional skills and the ideal choice for helping you to implement the new qualifications. |
To help support those centres that are not yet eligible to deliver functional skills, we have a Development Programme with over 2,500 members.
Email us at email@example.com to confirm your eligibility for the pilot or the Development Programme.
Autumn 2009 functional skills overview events
Book your FREE place on one of our functional skills overview events this autumn to find out more, or watch the online seminar about the pilot on the functional skills training page.
What you need to know
Functional skills qualifications will go live in September 2010 alongside the new GCSEs in English, mathematics and ICT. Functional elements have been embedded into our new GCSE specifications and assessments.
Download a copy of our latest brochure, which contains an overview of each subject and information on how it relates to the new GCSEs.
We’ve been using the extensive experience we’ve gained through the pilot and our Development Programme to develop functional skills alongside the new GCSEs. Each specification will deliver the coverage and range for both level one and level two. These elements will be easy to deliver and co-teach within your lesson plans, and will be fully supported by resources and training.
Functional skills qualifications will also be offered as stand-alone qualifications from September 2010. In line with the current pilot, we will be offering specifications across five levels in all three areas:
What you can expect from us
To help you prepare, we’re providing the highest level of support. You can expect to receive:
- Expert support from our experienced and dedicated functional skills support team, who are available to answer your queries by phone or email
- Free tailored resources that will support both teachers and students for the period of the pilot
- Free face-to-face and online training sessions
- Case study materials that will enable you to gain insight and learn about best practice
- Regular e-newsletters and email alerts to keep you up to date with the latest developments
- Access to our Development Programme to support non-eligible centres in the build-up to September 2010.
Let us help you prepare
We’re working hard to keep all centres up to date with latest 2010 developments, including functional skills. Stay abreast of what’s happening by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to receive our e-newsletter.
For further information on functional skills, visit www.edexcel.com/fs.