Always Learning

 Edexcel GCSE results explained 

This page provides help with understanding your Edexcel GCSE results, including information on how to get a copy of your exam paper and an explanation of how the review of marking service works.

Jump to a section

Marking and grading Getting your controlled assessment back
Incorrect personal information Controlled assessment re-marks/remoderation
Exam paper re-marks Resitting exams/resubmitting controlled assessments
Getting a copy of marked exam papers

How are our Edexcel GCSEs marked and graded?

Our Edexcel GCSEs are marked and graded slightly differently depending on the specification you’ve completed.

Pearson Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A (1MA0)

For our Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A (1MA0) you take both Paper 1 and Paper 2 in the same exam session. Once we’ve marked your work, will add together your scores for each paper and issue an overall grade based on your performance across the two assessments.

The overall grades you can be awarded will depend on the tier you sat:

  • Higher tier (Papers 3H and 4H): A*-D (with an ‘allowed E’)
  • Foundation tier (Papers 1F and 2F): C-G

If you don't get enough marks across the two papers to achieve a passing grade, you'll be awarded a U which means 'Unclassified'.

All of our other Edexcel GCSE subjects

You’ll be issued an overall (‘cash-in’) UMS mark and grade as well as a UMS mark and grade for each unit. Our Edexcel GCSEs are graded A* to G, although some exam papers are tiered according to ability and so don’t target the full grade range:

  • Higher tier: A*-D
  • Foundation tier: C-G

If you don't get enough marks in a unit to achieve a passing grade, you'll be awarded a U which means 'Unclassified'.

Your overall qualification grade is calculated by adding together your UMS scores for each unit.

What are raw and UMS marks?

The 'raw' mark is the actual mark you achieve on an exam or controlled assessment.

UMS stands for ‘Uniform Mark Scale’ and the UMS mark is a conversion of your raw mark used to indicate how well you did in a unit of a GCSE. UMS marks are not used in our Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A specification (1MA0).

In qualifications made up of units, different components can be taken at different times throughout the course. Question papers and controlled assessments may vary slightly in difficulty from year to year. For example, a score of 53 raw marks in one paper for one exam session might represent the same level of achievement as a raw mark of 49 in the following exam session. The Uniform Mark Scale (UMS) ensures that these two raw marks receive the same value when contributing to the final grade.

If you would like to know your raw mark for a particular unit, you will need to speak to the exams officer at your school or college or use our mark converter.

Find out more about raw and UMS marks

How can I tell if my result is for a unit or the whole qualification?

Our Edexcel GCSE units and cash-ins each have a unique code. You can tell whether your grade is for a unit or a cash-in by looking at the first number:

Unit/cash-in code Begins with
GCSE units 5
Overall GCSE (cash-in) 2
Overall GCSE (Short course) (cash-in) 3

We calculate your overall grade by adding together the UMS marks you achieved for each of your individual units.

What does a '#' mean next to my overall grade?

If you don’t take all of these units you can still cash in, as long as you were put forward for them all. For example, if you studied a unit but chose not to take the exam, you wouldn’t get a mark for that unit but could still get an overall grade. On your results slip this would show with the '#' sign, indicating that the grade for your cash-in is ‘incomplete’ (for example, ‘E#’).

Can you take personal circumstances into account when calculating my grade?

Sometimes illness, injury or other personal circumstances can affect your performance during an assessment. In these cases, it may be possible to issue you with a calculated result or extra marks. This is sometimes referred to as ‘special consideration'.

If you think you may be entitled to special consideration, you should speak to the exams officer at your school or college. They’ll need to make a request on your behalf and send us any supporting documents to help us make a decision. Each case is assessed on its own merit but you can find the guidelines we follow when making our decision on the JCQ website.

Special consideration isn’t shown on the statement of results you’re given by your school or college but is indicated on ResultsPlus Direct by a flag. If you don’t have access to ResultsPlus Direct, you’ll need to check with your exams officer whether special consideration has been applied.

↑ Back to top

Some of my personal details are incorrect on my results slip. What can I do?

We can correct errors such as misspelled names very quickly but you need to speak to the exams officer at your school or college to request any changes.

These requests must come from someone at your centre as we have no way of identifying students who call or email us. If we can’t identify you, we can’t make changes to confidential information.

↑ Back to top

Can I get my exam paper re-marked?

Yes - speak to the exams officer at your school or college, who will ask us to review the marking of your question paper on your behalf.

Is a review of marking the best option for me?

Before deciding to request a review of marking we’d recommend you speak to your teacher. They may have additional information on how you performed during your assessment and be able to provide you with guidance.

The majority of review of marking requests do not result in a change to a grade, simply because the review of marking has shown that the original grade was accurate. However, it is possible that your grade could go up, go down or stay the same.

If your grade goes down, you cannot reject the review of marking and go back to the original grade. The only way to improve your grade would be to resit the exam.

What does a review of marking involve?

The marking of your question paper will be reviewed by a senior examiner, who will check your answers against the mark scheme. This senior examiner won’t have marked your paper before. Once the marking of your paper has been reviewed, we'll do a clerical check to make sure that:

  • everything you've written has been marked
  • all of the marks have been added up to give the correct total mark
  • we’ve entered your total mark correctly on our systems
  • any special consideration has been taken into account (if it was applied for before the exam).

You can request that we only perform the clerical check. This will cost less than having a full review of marking.

How long will it take to get the marking of my paper reviewed?

We aim to have the result of your review of marking back to you within 30 days, but if you miss the deadline you will not be able to have the marking of your paper reviewed.

How much does a review of marking cost?

Your school or college may ask you to pay for your review of marking before they submit your application. The table below shows the amount we charge to process each type of review of marking, the deadline for applications and when you can expect an outcome.

Service Deadline to apply Cost* When will I receive the
outcome of my review of marking?
Standard review of marking (EAR2) 19 September £23.20 Within 30 days
Clerical check
19 September £10.30 Within 30 days

*Price indicates how much we charge schools and colleges requesting these services within the UK. The cost charged by your school or college may vary and will be different for students outside of the UK.

Can I get a refund for a review of marking if my mark changes?

We don't refund students or parents directly but you may be able to request a refund from your school or college if the outcome of your review of marking results in a change in your overall grade for your GCSE.

The refund policy for marking reviews is agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations.

What if I'm still unhappy with my grade after a review of marking?

If you're still not satisfied after a review of marking, you can ask your centre to appeal on your behalf. Appeals do not normally involve marking your work a second time, but work will be marked once again if there is evidence that the correct procedure wasn’t followed in the original review of marking.

Your centre has 14 days after receiving the outcome of your review of marking to appeal. We can't process appeal requests after this deadline.

You can find out more about the appeals process on the JCQ website.

↑ Back to top

Can I see my answers/get a copy of my marked exam paper?

Yes - speak to the exams officer at your school or college, who will ask us to return your marked question paper on your behalf. This service is sometimes called an ‘Access to Script’ request.

What information is shown on my marked question paper?

Your marked question paper will indicate the number of marks you received for each question but may not show much more detail, such as which part of your answer was awarded credit. Our examiners don't usually annotate question papers while marking.

You'll need to speak to your teacher in order to get a copy of the mark scheme or for additional help interpreting where you've been awarded marks.

Can I see my marked question paper before requesting a review of marking?

No. We've agreed with the other awarding organisations that we won't offer this service to GCSE students.

This is to ensure that all students are offered the same services, regardless of which awarding organisation they completed their qualification with.

If you request a copy of your exam paper, it will be sent to your school or college after the review of marking deadline. If you think you might want to get the marking of your exam paper reviewed you should discuss this with your teacher as they are in the best position to advise you.

How much does it cost to get a copy of my marked question paper?

The table below shows the deadlines for applying for each service and the amount we charge to process access to script requests.

Service Deadline to apply Cost* When will I get my question paper back?
Standard Access to Script 3 October £7.75 After the review of marking deadline
Post review of marking Access to Script 19 September £7.75 Once your review of marking has been completed
*Price indicates how much we charge schools and colleges requesting these services within the UK. The cost charged by the school or college and to students outside of the UK may vary.

↑ Back to top

Can I get my controlled assessment back?

Yes. You can ask your centre to return any project, coursework or controlled assessments.

↑ Back to top

Can I get my controlled assessment re-marked?

It's not normally possible for you to ask us to look at your controlled assessment work again, as we can't re-moderate controlled assessment for an individual.

How are controlled assessments marked?

Your teacher marks all project work, coursework and controlled assessment. It is then moderated, meaning that we request a sample of your teacher’s marked work and we check that we agree with their assessment.

Moderation is necessary to make sure that all students have their coursework assessed according to the same standards. Most of the time, your teacher’s marks will be approved and accepted unchanged. However, sometimes marks are reduced or raised, if your teacher’s marking was judged to have been too lenient or too harsh.

If you think that the mark on your results slip is not the mark your teacher gave you, please check with your teacher to see what happened to marks after moderation. If we did not adjust your mark, talk to your teacher or exams officer and they’ll get in touch with us. If we did adjust your mark, your teacher will need to decide if they want to send back all of the work from your school or college for remoderation.

What happens if I'm unhappy with my mark for a controlled assessment?

We can't remoderate a controlled assessment for an individual or remoderate work where we didn't change your teacher's mark. Controlled assessments can be remoderated if we changed the marks given by your teacher, but it is down to your school to decide whether to request this.

Your school or college will need to base their decision as to whether to request remoderation on what is best for the majority of students. When we receive a request for remoderation, the work of all students originally entered at your school or college goes through the moderation process again. This means that changes made to grades during remoderation may affect all students who submitted work. If your school has decided not to submit controlled assessments for remoderation, you will need to discuss this directly with them as we can’t overturn their decision.

The rules around marking, moderating and remoderating coursework and controlled assessments are agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations. They are in place to ensure that all students are treated equally, regardless of the awarding organisation used for their subject.

↑ Back to top

Can I resit an exam unit/resubmit a controlled assessment?

It is no longer possible to resit individual GCSEs units in order to improve your overall grade. Instead you’ll now need to retake all exam units in order for us to award a new grade.

The rules for resubmitting controlled assessments vary by subject. So, if you decide to retake your qualification, you'll need to check with your teacher to see whether you can improve your existing work or will need to complete a different task.

What is the difference between resitting an exam and retaking the qualification?

Resitting usually refers to retaking an individual exam or unit. Retaking a qualification means that you start again, redoing all of the exams.

If you decide to retake the qualification, you may be able to carry forward your grades for controlled assessments but you'll need to double check with your teacher that this is possible.


Important dates

Results released:

Thursday 21 August

Results will be available on ResultsPlus Direct from 9 a.m. BST.

Certificates sent to schools and colleges:

By Friday 31 October

Related pages

Interpret your results slip

Find out how to interpret the information on your results slip.