Need an overview of what’s available? Use our BTEC Key Documents QuickFinder – an at-a-glance guide including a summary of what documents you need at each stage.
Divided into individual chapters, the UK Vocational Quality Assurance Handbook, 2013-14, supports everyone involved in delivery, assessment and verification of BTEC or standalone Edexcel NQV or SVQ qualifications.
Download chapters of the UK handbook:
1. IntroductionThis quality assurance handbook is for you to share with all staff involved in delivery, assessment and verification of BTEC or standalone Edexcel NVQ/SVQ qualifications. It is divided into individual chapters to make it simpler to navigate and use. This introduction will give you a brief outline and the qualifications covered by each chapter and alert you to changes to the handbook for 2013-14.
2. Key datesThis chapter provides an overview on the key quality assurance dates for internal assessment throughout the academic year in a simple calendar format.
3. Roles and ResponsibilitiesThis chapter provides you with an outline of the roles that each individual below will undertake at your centre:
4. Quality Review & DevelopmentQuality Review & Development is a central part of our BTEC quality assurance model. We carry out an annual visit to every centre running BTEC at Entry Level to Level 3.
5. Lead Internal VerifiersYou should identify one Lead Internal Verifier for each QCF Principal Subject Area and also for each BTEC (NQF) programme you deliver. The requirements for Lead Internal Verifiers are slightly different for BTEC (QCF) and BTEC (NQF). To make sure that you can find the correct guidance easily, the chapter has three sections:
6. Standards Verification for BTEC (QCF) Entry Level to Level 3
8. Standards Verification for BTEC Children and Young PeopleThis chapter provides information on standards verification for BTECs in the Children and Young People sector at Level 2 and 3. These qualifications have specific quality assurance requirements that are slightly different to other subjects. Each year, a subject specialist Standards Verifier will be allocated to you. This chapter also provides important information about combined assessment for Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce (CYPW). This issue 2 (August 2013) contains further details on standards verification for BTEC Level 2 First Award and Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning & Development.
9. Standards Verification for BTEC Level 4 to 7: External ExaminationExternal Examination is the form of Standards Verification undertaken for BTEC Level 4 and 5 Higher Nationals, BTEC Foundation Art and Design and other BTEC Professional Qualifications at levels 4 and above. External Examination relates to centres operating programmes in the manner associated with higher education or qualifications in a professional context.
10. Standards Verification for Edexcel NVQ, Edexcel SVQ and Edexcel competence-based qualificationsStandards Verification helps ensure you have accurate assessment and verification records and are assessing learners appropriately, consistently and fairly. Standards Verifiers will sample assessed learner work and provide guidance and support. This chapter is designed for centres offering standalone Edexcel NVQs, Edexcel SVQs or Edexcel competence-based qualifications. Please note, if you are offering Edexcel NVQs, Edexcel SVQs or Edexcel competence-based qualifications within the BTEC Apprenticeship framework, please refer to the Work-Based Learning: BTEC Apprenticeships Quality Assurance Handbook 2013-14. 11. SupportWe are here to support you at every step. This chapter gives details of all of our support services.
Centre Guides provide more in-depth advice and guidance on key topics.
BTEC Centre Guide to Assessment: Entry Level - Level 3 Issue 5: March 2014. The majority of BTEC units are assessed through internal assessment, so you can deliver the programme in a way that suits your learners and relates to local need. This guide is designed for BTEC programme teams and provides essential guidance on the planning and implementation of internal assessment.
It covers all BTEC qualifications from Entry Level to Level 3 and explains the assessment requirements for BTECs accredited on the Qualification Credit Framework (QCF) and the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). All staff involved in the management, delivery and assessment of BTECs should read this guide. This issue contains important updates on assessment requirements for BTEC Firsts and Nationals from September 2014.
Art and Design & MediaBusinessChildcare
Construction and EngineeringHealth and Social CareInformation and Creative Technology
Land-based and Environment
Music and Dance
Performing and Production ArtsPublic Services
Travel and Tourism
BTEC Centre Guide to Assessment: Level 4-7Issue 3: December 2013. Higher level BTEC units are assessed through internal assessment, so you can deliver the programme in a way that suits your learners and relates to local need. This guide is designed for higher level BTEC programme teams and provides essential guidance on the planning and implementation of internal assessment.
It covers all BTEC qualifications from Level 4 to 7 and explains the assessment requirements. It has been developed following feedback from centres and Standards Verifiers and replaces the HE Specialist Papers that we previously published on a number of assessment topics.
BTEC Centre Guide to Internal Verification Internal verification is an essential part of BTEC delivery and assessment. It ensures that your internally assessed units have appropriate assessment opportunities and are assessed accurately to national standards. This guide is designed for BTEC programme teams and provides essential guidance on the planning and implementation of internal verification.
It covers all BTEC qualifications and explains the assessment requirements for BTECs accredited on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) and the new next generation BTECs accredited on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). All staff involved in the management, delivery and assessment of BTECs should read this guide.
BTEC Centre Guide to Managing QualityThis guide will help you manage BTEC programmes and plan and implement an effective quality assurance system.
Instructions for sending postal samples via courierWe have an account with Parcelforce that you can use, free of charge, for sending standards verification samples. This document guides you through the process. Please note the new login details. HEI Licence Centre GuideThis guide supports the licence agreement for higher education institutions offering BTEC Customised Higher Nationals and other BTEC level 4-7 professional qualifications under licence, (known as the 'HEI Licence'). It provides practical support and information for UK higher education institutions (HEIs) with taught degree awarding powers operating under licence. It includes guidance on becoming an HEI Licence centre and ongoing administration and communication requirements. UK Centre Guide to BTEC ConsortiaA BTEC consortium is a partnership between centres to offer BTEC qualifications. A consortium is approved at programme level and may be useful when two or more BTEC centres are delivering a programme together. This guide collates information and guidance relating to BTEC consortia from a range of sources, including approvals guidance, the UK Vocational Quality Assurance Handbook and OSCA Quickstart Guide.
We’ve prepared some useful templates and forms to save you time. If you use your own forms, these are still useful for reference to ensure you include all the information you need.
Assessment and Internal Verification forms
Quality Review & Development 2013 -14: centre engagement documentThis document is to help you prepare for the Quality Review & Development visit, which looks at the management of your BTEC programmes. You should complete this and send it to your Centre Quality Reviewer before the visit.
It also contains the quality objectives and measures used by the Centre Quality Reviewer to make judgements. You may also use this to make notes.
The quality assurance process for international BTEC centres is different to the UK process. All staff involved in delivery, assessment and verification of BTEC qualifications outside the UK should read and understand this handbook.
International BTEC Quality Assurance Handbook 2012-13This handbook is for centres running BTEC programmes outside the UK. It will provide you with guidance on what you need to do to operate your programmes effectively and gain certification for your students. It is for you to share with all staff involved in management, delivery and assessment of your BTEC programmes.
Assessment and Verification forms (NQF)
Assessment and Verification forms (QCF)
Sign up for email alerts using your Edexcel Online account details and you’ll receive an email whenever new documents or notices are added to this page – ensuring you don’t miss any vital updates.