The Edexcel International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is designed for use in schools and colleges as a two-year course. It aims to encourage the exploration and study of ICT in a variety of contexts: home, community, business, industry, recreation and education. In any given situation, students will be given the opportunity to acquire competence, ability and critical skills through the implementation, use and evaluation of a range of ICT systems. Students can develop their interest in, enjoyment of and critical reflections about ICT as an integral part of modern society.
Key subject aims:
· To acquire and apply ICT skills, knowledge and understanding in a range of contexts
· To develop ICT-based solutions to address challenges and solve problems
· To develop an understanding of ICT systems
· To develop an understanding and awareness of current and emerging technologies
· To develop an awareness of the legal, social, ethical and environmental consequences of the use of ICT systems for individuals, organisations and society
· To recognise potential risks when using ICT and develop safe, secure and responsible practice.
Unique features and benefits of this specification
· A practical examination is included to enable students to demonstrate their ability.
Assessment and progression
· Single tier. Single exam
· Grading A* to G
· Appropriate for students of various ages and from diverse backgrounds in terms of general education and life-long learning.
Back to the International GCSE ICT homepage